Revit and Windows Vista

Notices and other administrative materials

Moderators: Tim Waldock, corinoco, Wesley

Are you hoping to move to Vista in the next 6 months?

Bring it on!
50%
Pigs and high altitudes
40%
The devil made me do it
10%
What's Vista?
No votes

Total votes : 10

Revit and Windows Vista

Postby Wesley » 16 Feb 2007, 00:46

For those of you itching to try it out, Revit does NOT work in Vista. It is possible to install it, even to open it, but as soon as you try and USE it, you're history. This appears to be related to OpenGL, and Microsoft's non-support of it in Vista.

This may be resolved one of two ways. The graphics card manufacturers update their drivers to deal with it on card, or Autodesk changing some of their code. I don't yet know which it may be, or when it may happen. I will try to find out and let people know.

Finally, here is the very helpful and informative knowledge base article from Autodesk:

Windows Vista™ support for Revit® products
Published date: 2007-01-30
ID: TS1067716

Applies to:
Autodesk® AutoCAD® Revit® Series—Systems Plus 2
Autodesk® AutoCAD® Revit® Series—Systems Plus 1
Autodesk® Revit® Building 9.1
Autodesk® Revit® Building 9
Autodesk® Revit® Building 8.1
Autodesk® Revit® Building 8
Autodesk® Revit® 7
Autodesk® Revit® Structure 4
Autodesk® Revit® Structure 3
Autodesk® Revit® Structure 2
Autodesk® Revit® Structure 1

Issue
You want to know if the Windows Vista™ operating system supports Autodesk® Revit® products.

Solution
Windows Vista does not support Autodesk Revit Building, Autodesk Revit Systems, or Autodesk Revit Structure.

Not quite how I define the word solution...

Regards,
Wesley
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Re Revit and Windows Vista

Postby Phil Kendall » 28 Mar 2007, 13:00

Our compamy has been involved in the Beta testing of Vista and are currently in the process of testing all our applications for Vista compatibility prior to roll out of Vista company wide in May this year. As part of this we have been testing Revit Structure 4 and have found no problems (yet) with running it in the Vista operating environment (using HP xw4400 Workstations with nVidia Quadro FX 1500 video cards).

What are the issues that are being encountered? Is the issue only related to certain graphics cards/drivers or does it go further then that?

Googling on the internet uncovered a few interesting sites that explain the issue with OpenGL and Vista and how it is being resolved within Vista (here's one explaination of how it works http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/02/22/537624.aspx).

Is Autodesk just covering themselves with their statement (as most software developers seem to be)? Is Revit 2008 Vista compatible (32 bit / 64 bit)?

Always so many questions and uncertainties over a new operating system - and the answers always seems to be the same. Expect the unexpected. The key is to wait until the issues have been resolved and then make the move. If I could have my say in my organisation it would be to wait and see - but I'm just the small guy on the shop floor who gets told to jump.

:)
Phil Kendall
Phil Kendall

Company: Beca
When did you start to use Revit?: v9.0 2006

Postby Wesley » 30 Mar 2007, 13:23

We have had mixed results with current release Revit software on Vista. Graphics card does appear to affect outcome (currently ATI seems more stable than NVidia - most of our machines are NVidia). The 2008 releases are all specifically noted as Vista compatible, and have been working finr now for several weeks.

Problems generally mean unexpected application shutdowns, and tend to occur when redraw intensive tasks are underway (spin 3D, etc.). I do believe it is graphics related only. No problems AT ALL on the ATI based HP laptop.

Yes, Autodesk is just being 'careful'. 2008 will work in 32 or 64 bit environments, and Autodesk actually now recommends 64 bit, although the program itself is not yet a true 64-bit application.
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Return to Announcements