File Size increases without warning or reason....

Problems, issues, and concerns... Oh my!
Not for "I don't know how", but for "Revit says this but doesn't do it..."

Moderators: Tim Waldock, Andrew Munoz, simonwhnz

File Size increases without warning or reason....

Postby laurasmagin » 17 Apr 2012, 12:20

Hi Guys,

I thought I would share this with you all. Revit Architecture 2012

We have a large project with many model links and one 'production file' that contains only links, sheets, sheet views schedules and legends (no model elements) the file size was nice and small and then (for no apparent reason) over night went from 180mb to 1gb.
After some extensive testing and removing and purging everything fromthis file, even creating a new level with nothing associated the file size was still 1gb. The file was sent to Autodesk for checking, Autodesk admit it it their problem and the issue is to do with the paging file history not being cleared. They did 'fix' the file, however would offer no patch or assurance that this won't happen again.

So if you notice a sudden sharp file size increase I suggest you forward the file to Autodesk.

!!!!FINGERS CROSSED THEY HAVE RESOLVED IN 2013!!!!
laurasmagin

Re: File Size increases without warning or reason....

Postby MattCAD » 07 Jun 2012, 10:34

Hi Laura

I have been involved in a project with a similar issue, ie 500mb to 1.7gb overnight. the resolution was the same, bim manager sent the files off to autodesk, and they waved the magic wand over the file....all good.

like you project this was a R2012 file.

is this just a 'known limitation / issue' with autodesk????

This issue was raised at rtc2012 in one of the sessions, but really didnt get any clariry or comments.

cheers Matt
MattCAD

Postby laurasmagin » 10 Jun 2012, 15:55

Hi Matt,

no this is not a limitation issue, it is a paging issue that is caused by broken code in Revit.

I can not get an answer from Autodesk as to what triggers or causes this to happen. It is a random file that is broken, not all files get this error.

Autodesk are working on a user end fix. Stay tuned I'll let you know when I receive it, I'll post it here!
Last edited by laurasmagin on 10 Jun 2012, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
laurasmagin

Postby laurasmagin » 10 Jun 2012, 15:58

BTW there is no guarantee this has been resolved in 2013!

I asked Autodesk and they could not give me a definitive answer.
laurasmagin

Postby larawinson » 20 Sep 2013, 17:37

I was getting this issue ,if you want to avoid this increase in file size, Try reducing the density of the hatch patterns used in your material definitions. Please save your drawings in plan view.
larawinson
Quiet member

Company: The Darwin Practice
When did you start to use Revit?: v1.0 2000

Postby laurasmagin » 30 Sep 2013, 15:02

Great suggestion, this was not the cuase for this particular issue, but a good suggestion for all.

Just to update I have not had this issue repeat in 2013.
laurasmagin

Return to Buglist