Angled Balusters

Problems, issues, and concerns... Oh my!
Not for "I don't know how", but for "Revit says this but doesn't do it..."

Moderators: Tim Waldock, Andrew Munoz, simonwhnz

Angled Balusters

Postby kyledumbleton@gmail.com » 14 Feb 2008, 09:26

I can't seem to figure out if its possible to orient a baluster or a post for that matter in a railing at a perpendicular angle to the top of the stringer. I am using a 3-Form Resin Panel in place of the pickets.

:?:
Attachments
angled baluster needed_2.jpg
Section
(158.93 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
kyledumbleton@gmail.com
Quiet member

Angled Posts or Balusters

Postby chrisneedham » 13 May 2008, 19:00

It is possible, but with some limitations (like getting rails to meet where they should). Panels should be okay, but not posts. I've created the post in the attachment by hacking at a baluster panel. There seems to be some built-in behaviour that determines that posts should always stand upright, perpendicular to the treads... bummer![/i]
Attachments
Angled Baluster Panel 2.jpg
Angled Baluster Panel 2.jpg (41.28 KiB) Viewed 4872 times
Angled Baluster Panel.jpg
Angled Baluster Panel.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 4871 times
Regards,

Chris Needham
C3 Consulting Solutions
www.c3consulting.com.au

REVIC Chairperson
www.revic.org.au
chrisneedham

Postby Wesley » 13 May 2008, 21:54

There is built in behaviour to that effect, but you can fix it...

In the baluster post family (not the railing object in your project) go "settings>family category and parameters" and untick "always vertical". Then you can add angular controls to the baluster post item.

Wes
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Always Vertical ... Exception?

Postby chrisneedham » 14 May 2008, 00:02

Hi Wes,

That would be the usual solution, but balusters, balustrade panels, and posts are not recognised as family categories in quite the same way that generic models, casework and furniture etc. are. If you go to the Family Category and Parameters dialog, you can't make changes such as unchecking the 'Always Vertical' parameter. The OK button is grayed out, preventing the change - all you are permitted to do is to cancel, with no change.

This seems to be the case in both 2008 and 2009. I figured there has to be a workaround, so tried changing one baluster family to a generic model, which then allowed me to uncheck the 'Always Vertical' parameter. Then I nested this into another balustrade family, and linked the height values.

The results are shown in the image below, and while it serves as a proof of concept that you can have balusters perpendicular to the stair incline (despite some minor things like seating and terminating them a little neater), it still suggest that the rails themselves can't terminate as we might wish. The balustrade family still regards itself as a vertical object, hence the vertical termination of the rails. While you could seek to 'fudge it' by building in the ends of the rails into a panel or baluster family, this would be too tedious to serve as a realistic workaround, IMO.

Any other ideas?

:?
Attachments
Angled Baluster Panel 3.jpg
Angled Baluster Panel 3.jpg (27 KiB) Viewed 4861 times
Regards,

Chris Needham
C3 Consulting Solutions
www.c3consulting.com.au

REVIC Chairperson
www.revic.org.au
chrisneedham

Postby Wesley » 14 May 2008, 00:23

Maybe... but v. good bit of research and explanantion! It used to be that a workaround for a door with a non-zero sill height was to change and save it as category window (which forces the unlocking of the sill height parameter) and then change back to door category and save again. I wonder if the same might work here?

A quick look notes that baluster is not listed in the family categories at all! so this almost certainly WON'T work... Sigh.

Cheers,
Wes
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Return to Buglist