Revamp Filesharing

Tools / methods you would like to see in Revit, especially those specific to local conditions

Moderators: Tim Waldock, Andrew Munoz, simonwhnz

Revamp Filesharing

Postby David Howe » 09 Dec 2008, 10:37

When file sharing, local files should be created insidiously, in a similar fashion to say Photoshop. The user would assign a 'swap space' on a local drive and then the software would handle the creation of local copies as necessary and automatically reconcile the data with the central file.

The advantage of this system is that there would only be ONE version/copy of the file salient for operators to see/open. When the file was selected, Revit would check the 'swap space' for a local copy and begin the local or central loads as required. A time interval could be set for writing back to the central file and on close, the local and central files would be updated and worksets relinquished.

Confusion between local and central files is a very real problem for Revit users, especially new users.

I made this wish list request to Revit (pre Autodesk) about six years ago. As it hasn't happened I feel it's time to request it again.
David Howe

Company: Edge Condition
When did you start to use Revit?: v3.1 2001

Re: Revamp Filesharing

Postby Toby Maple » 04 Apr 2009, 21:40

This has somewhat changed in 2010...

come to April users group to see it in action!!!!
Toby Maple
-------------
Revit Users Group Sydney
Chairman
Toby Maple

Company: HASSELL
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Re: Revamp Filesharing

Postby David Howe » 06 Apr 2009, 10:07

I'd read that somewhere.
...I bet they've made it MORE complicated. AutoDesk's MO is always to put bandaids on top of bandaids, never to address the underlying methodology.

That said, I'll be there with bells on ready to be 'surprised'.
David Howe

Company: Edge Condition
When did you start to use Revit?: v3.1 2001

Return to Wishlist