Trimming of Concrete Framing in Revit Structure

Tools / methods you would like to see in Revit, especially those specific to local conditions

Moderators: Tim Waldock, Andrew Munoz, simonwhnz

Trimming of Concrete Framing in Revit Structure

Postby Phil Kendall » 04 Oct 2007, 17:45

Applies to Structural concrete framing (maybe Architectural also - have not checked yet).

Would like to be able to trim concrete framing in a similar way that steel framing can be trimmed (i.e. using reference planes). Currently to get this to work I have to set the concrete framing Family to "steel" (have not seen any negative effects from this yet).

This would allow the same funtionality for both steel and concrete framing and would reduce the frustration.

Regards,
Phil Kendall
Phil Kendall

Company: Beca
When did you start to use Revit?: v9.0 2006

Postby pfd » 04 Oct 2007, 18:35

I agree with Phillip, you seem to be able to cut geometry for all materials except concrete. Crazy

cheers
Peter
pfd

Postby Paul Hellawell » 03 Jun 2008, 14:28

There would be a few "negative" effects from changing your concrete to steel.

Concrete's hidden linework works slightly differently to steel. For example on a ground floor slab with ground beams. Setting the groundbeams to steel would make them dissapear in hidden line mode.

There could also be scheduling issues, depending on how you set up your material filters.

The workaround I use, in both Steel and Concrete Beams, is to add void forms on either end that can be adjusted in length and angle. These allow you too "cut" a beam and still maintain its materials.

The opening tool (face based) also works for cutting beams of any material.

I find the cut beams slow as you can't cut multiples. Also you can't use model groups if a beam is cut by a plane (It only cuts the 1st instance of a group).
Paul Hellawell

Company: GHD
When did you start to use Revit?: v8.0 2005

Postby Phil Kendall » 03 Jun 2008, 16:00

With Model Groups include the Reference Plane in the Group and it will always apply the cut (just watch the length and depth of the plane).

Agree with your comments Paul - however it is a bit short sighted of Autodesk to not allow the same functionality to concrete as they have with steel. Concrete wants to have more ability to be shaped as required.

Maybe something better available in RST2010.

Cheers,

:D
Phil Kendall
Phil Kendall

Company: Beca
When did you start to use Revit?: v9.0 2006

Return to Wishlist