SketchUp free version!

News, reviews, and other third party information on issues relevant to Revit Users

Moderators: Tim Waldock, Dave, Gary Young

SketchUp free version!

Postby Wesley » 29 Apr 2006, 16:05

Google (new owners of SketchUp) have just released a free version of SketchUp, and enhanced the connection of the free and commercial versions to Google Earth.

You can check out information on both issues in the latest SketchUpdate (27.04.06 if you are in this part of the world) by following this link: SketchUp website

Cheers,
Wes
Last edited by Wesley on 02 May 2006, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Free Sketchup

Postby Michael Juda » 02 May 2006, 08:38

Hey that is a good one, it was interesting to read about what Google are doing with things. And having a play around with sketchup was quite fun.

The fact that you can even download the white house to have a look at is quite interesting, not to mention the stadiums and other buildings.
Michael Juda

Postby corinoco » 02 May 2006, 16:32

Those lucky guys - getting bought out by Google! Sweet!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Google Sketchup

Postby Michael Juda » 03 May 2006, 09:43

I had a play on it for about half an hour.

On the one file i did a house, a swimming pool, a block of 4 large shopping centre blocks, and attached a high rise unit block to it.

Just for fun i imported it directly into Revit 9, did a couple of floors from the 3D model and a couple of dimensions. The shopping centre was 1000m wide because it was all very simple i was amased how freely i could pan around in Sketchup and Revit. Even with the shadows on.

When i learn how to use it properly i may even buy the PRO Sketchup, just to see what the other features can do that they have removed.
Michael Juda

Postby corinoco » 08 May 2006, 20:55

Sketchup is great, and a free version is really great news!

Clients want to see the 3D and have a play with it? Export / convert from revit -> DWG -> Sketchup and you have a rather good 3D viewer that is less scary for people than Revit.

I've already done this for my optometrist, who asked me if there were any simple CAD programs that he could fiddle with.
Adrian Esdaile
Master of the BAN-HAMMER!
Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Professional Thinking Persons
Sector ZZ9-Plural-Z-Alpha Division

Why not visit the Early Ediacaran on your next holiday? FREE MATRESSES!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Return to Articles - General