Latest build of Revit v9

For Revit users

Moderators: Tim Waldock, monumentum, Toby Maple

Latest build of Revit v9

Postby corinoco » 05 May 2006, 12:07

Just got an email from Autodesk about issues with V9, especially with regards to links. Phew! I thought it was just me! Upgrading our Hamilton project with 36 links within it took quite some time, and performance thereafter was a bit glacial.

Getting the email was useful, as Autodesk in their almighty wisdom, made it a lot harder to find the updates! I used to check revit.autodesk.com weekly for updates, but that address does not seem to be updated anymore - it's only old 8.1 releases.

The email from Autodesk contains direct links to .EXE files, which is a big no-no as far as Outlook & any decent anti-virus software is concerned. The links got sliced off my email so although they told me there was an update, I couldn't link to it! :roll: Amateurs... I had to mangle their link, which got me to the 'Product Updates' page... which doesn't list an update for v9 :?

You need to go to the Product Download page, which is at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/it ... id=7142518

and this is where they give the link to the update, rather than the update downloads page. Silly me.

Anyway, got it in the end! Heh, and I notice they screwed up network licensing. Again. Do Autodesk actually test stuff before they release it?

Cheers, Adrian
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Autodesk Checking

Postby Michael Juda » 06 May 2006, 16:51

I really don’t think that they check the files and test them correctly before the files and updates are sent out. I have always wondered how much cheaper they can make the subscription service if it was only web based which would save a lot of time and money which would benefit the end users, after all we are the ones that have to pay for it.

Can’t Autodesk give us this option, should we push for this as I know that my small office is filling up with old boxes of programs which are now no longer used. Wouldn’t it be better for the environment to!

The web download is fantastic I was getting speeds of 750kb/s on my cable connection, the whole file was downloaded in about 10 minutes.
Michael Juda

Postby corinoco » 08 May 2006, 20:50

Now there's a suggestion if I ever heard it...

The 'Steam' distribution system that games such as Half-Life 2 use would be very applicable to Autodesk. That system does licensing & distribution of multi-gigabyte programs, and can even handle off-line licensing, so you don't always have to be online!

I think Autodesk may have thought of systems like this before, and got negative reactions from major firms though. Most major firms I have worked or dealt with don't like net-streaming apps working over their networks. Fair enough, but they usually let employees use online banking, which relies on the same ports/encryption, just doesn't deal with GB size files.

It would be nice to have as a option, perhaps offset by reduced fees, as we really don't need the box, CDs and ridiculous amount of cardboard Adesk package stuff in (Our ONE box of V9 came in a cardboard box you could have shipped a few bottles of wine in, and was packaged in padding as if it was made of crystal). The install CDs become irrelevant after the first patch anyway.

Mabe a wishlist item?

And yes, Wes, I know what happened in the film! I also know that Home is Where You Put Your Hat.
Adrian Esdaile
Master of the BAN-HAMMER!
Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Professional Thinking Persons
Sector ZZ9-Plural-Z-Alpha Division

Why not visit the Early Ediacaran on your next holiday? FREE MATRESSES!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Return to General Discussion