Tagging curtain walls_shopfronts

For Revit users

Moderators: Tim Waldock, monumentum, Toby Maple

Postby Sidetracked » 05 May 2006, 11:53

Has anybody or is there a way of tagging cutain walls so that they will schedule with windows.
Sidetracked

Postby Wesley » 05 May 2006, 13:07

Essentially, windows and curtain walls are different categories of items, and therefore schedule seperately. HOWEVER (as always! :wink: ) there are two ways to skin a catbus....

The awkward sounding, but simple and sure, way: replace the standard curtain panel with a piece of wall, which can then be used to host a standard window of the exact same size.

The more complex, prettier, I'm pretty sure it works, way: setup a window schedule using shared parameters that have been set into your curtain panel definitions. This way you can schedule all of the panels without having to replace them with walls and windows.

Cheers,
Wes
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Postby corinoco » 05 May 2006, 20:59

Bah! Skinning catbusses! Hmmph!

There is a third way!

First of all, make sure you have your elevations set up. Go to one of your elevations and in the View/Visibility window, turn off everything except all of the curtain wall categories.

Next, make a view template for your elevations; call it something like "Curtain Wall Elevations".

Go to each of your elevations and apply that template - don't worry, we're going to undo this whole process in a minute or so...

Now export a DWG file from each of your elevations, then UNDO everything back to where you altered the VV settings for the first elevation.

Now go to your 'Window Schedule' Legend, and Import the DWG files you just created. You can either explode them (if you've made a DWG export filter just for this purpose!) or just trace them with the Detail Line tool. If you make a fancy DWG export filter, you can even link the files, which will allow them to auto-update if you change things (you still have to manually export the DWGs first though).

The result - instant window detail elevations for all your curtain walls!

OK, it's not pretty, and it uses DWG (Ackk! PPPsssspppshhhhstt! Ack!) but it is fast.

Wes, - I will volunteer to show this method at the next User Group!

*edit*

:oops: And, yes I just noticed that you want to schedule as in 'list' rather than window elevations.

OK, yes, I had the same problem. You'll need to make a generic tag for the curtain walls, so you can use the same number system as your windows or better yet use a slightly different number system for curtain walls as opposed to individual windows to keep from having to use a multi-field table.

I've just been through the same process for 35 individual villas, and I think 'Ive got a system that worked... :?
Adrian Esdaile
Master of the BAN-HAMMER!
Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Professional Thinking Persons
Sector ZZ9-Plural-Z-Alpha Division

Why not visit the Early Ediacaran on your next holiday? FREE MATRESSES!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Catbus

Postby Wesley » 07 May 2006, 15:08

Didn't think it would take too long before you noticed that comment :wink:

And you do realise, in relation to your .sig file, that right after he made that comment, the preson to whom it was addressed tried to kill themselves? :lol:

Wes
--------------------------------------------------
"the sooner you fall behind...
... the more time you have to catch up"
Wesley
Founder
Founder

Company: BD Group
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.2 2000

Return to General Discussion