creating 3D-operable 4 (or more) panels bifolds

For Revit users

Moderators: Tim Waldock, monumentum, Toby Maple

creating 3D-operable 4 (or more) panels bifolds

Postby slejj » 13 May 2012, 15:36

Hello everyone.This is my first post. Hope I'm not asking too much. Anyone who attended RUGS Meeting #88 last year and remembers David Quach's tips on creating 3D-operable 4 (or more) panels bifolds - by attaching face-based embeded panel family to reference lines may be able to help me. I want to open a curtain wall of bifolds for my views via percentage. I have placed the bi-fold door family within a curtain wall system as the curtain wall panel (Will this be an issue?) The door I am currently using has 4 door panels.
Ideally I would like to create the option to fold the door panels 2+2 or 4+0, with percentage opening between closed and 100% open.
Would be so grateful if someone could help me. There are no tutorials posted on the web currently that cover this.

Thanks
Slejj.
slejj
Quiet member

When did you start to use Revit?: v2010 2009

Re: creating 3D-operable 4 (or more) panels bifolds

Postby corinoco » 16 May 2012, 11:59

This family is still a work-in-progress, as I haven't yet perfected the display of odd numbers of doors. It only works for even doors.

You have two different display options for the doors - control over both the 2D plan view and 3D view individually. Control over door openings is expressed as an angle between 0-90 degrees - it is possible to convert this to % with a bit of trigonometry.

At 780k this family is a little bit larger than I would like - this is due to the nesting of the panel families - once Revit allows parameter control over profile types this should shrink dramatically.

Turning this into a 2+2 type is left as an exercise for the reader.
Attachments
The Bifold Project WIP.rfa
Working 3D bifold doors
(780 KiB) Downloaded 419 times
Adrian Esdaile
Master of the BAN-HAMMER!
Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Professional Thinking Persons
Sector ZZ9-Plural-Z-Alpha Division

Why not visit the Early Ediacaran on your next holiday? FREE MATRESSES!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Postby slejj » 17 May 2012, 14:20

Thanks Corinoco. This family is great. Turns out 4+0 is what I need for this project, so I'll have a go at adjusting its parameters.

Cheers
Slejj
slejj
Quiet member

When did you start to use Revit?: v2010 2009

Postby corinoco » 17 May 2012, 14:46

Have a look at how the family works - I haven't yet had a chance to complete this family as much as I would like, so some parameters might not work correctly, and some will very likely break the family.

As fas a tutorial for how to create a door like this, I can only say practice, practice practice! Have a look at how the subfamilies in this door work, as it is the subfamilies that drive the movable parameters. Of particular importance is to record your parameter names and types, as you often need to pass this data down through a 2 or 3 levels of nesting.

Also worth looking at are the algorithms used to check for numbers of doors, and calculate opening sizes depending upon wther there is or is not a sill.

It is my intention to create a bifold family that is:

Operable
    Has independent plan / elevation detailing (eg, open in plan, closed in elevation - all controlable)
    Customisable door panels
    Can have ANY number of panels, odd or even
    Less than 500k in size (maybe I'm dreaming here)
    Has customisable sill/architrave/trim details (when we can assign profiles to parameters - not yet possible)

It's not there yet, this is about 30% of the way there.
Adrian Esdaile
Master of the BAN-HAMMER!
Amalgamated Union of Philosophers, Sages, Luminaries and Other Professional Thinking Persons
Sector ZZ9-Plural-Z-Alpha Division

Why not visit the Early Ediacaran on your next holiday? FREE MATRESSES!
corinoco

Company: Woolworths Limited
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Postby tentionfree » 17 Jan 2013, 17:06

Thanks my dear Corinoco. Turns out 4+0 is what I need for this project, so I'll have a go at adjusting its parameters. This family is great...!!!
looking nice
tentionfree
Quiet member

Company: pasban
When did you start to use Revit?: v0.1 1999

Return to General Discussion