Demolish part of an existing Roof

Central location for tips developed in other areas in the forums, or gleaned from other sources

Moderator: Tim Waldock

Demolish part of an existing Roof

Postby Toby Maple » 08 Nov 2007, 12:45

Use an in place family void to cut the existing roof. let me explain.

All you need to do is go to the new construction phase. go to Modelling Tab on the Design Bar. Click Create. Select the family catagory as Roof. give it a name - something logical like Demo Roof Void 1. Click on the Void tab on the design bar. Use the Void Extrustion and make it massive in Height (so you can see it easily) and trace your new walls in a plan view (maybe site) if you lock the sketch to the walls, when your walls move so does the void!!!

Finish Sketch. You should see a large yellow Extrusion. Now before you finish the family go to the tool bar and click on the cut geometry tool. select your void then the roof.

Hey, Hey a hole is cut!!! but now go back to your existing phase and the roof is now split into two. also in the New Constuction Phase if you set the phase filter to show previous and demo all looks good too. Sections are perfect too.

There is one gotcha. if you try and edit that void again you can't find it??? You can hover over the edge of the roof where it is cutting and delete it. But still faster to repeat the process above if you design changes than try and copy, paste, modify roof etc, etc. especially when it is a complex shape.

Hope this helps
Toby Maple
-------------
Revit Users Group Sydney
Chairman
Toby Maple

Company: HASSELL
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Re: Demolish part of an existing Roof

Postby RobGod » 09 Nov 2007, 14:56

This works an absolute treat, thanks Toby

Regards
Rob
RobGod

Company: Nordon Jago Architects
When did you start to use Revit?: v8.0 2005

Postby Toby Maple » 09 Nov 2007, 15:20

My secret weapon is out......

Glad i could help.
Toby Maple
-------------
Revit Users Group Sydney
Chairman
Toby Maple

Company: HASSELL
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.1 2002

Postby angiebuds » 04 Nov 2010, 02:51

That is actually a good work. I’ve tried that and I am just so happy because it was successful. Now you know that demolishing part of an existing roof is not an easy work without any idea.
angiebuds
Quiet member

When did you start to use Revit?: v2.1 2000

Postby Mark James » 18 Nov 2010, 16:40

Toby Maple wrote:There is one gotcha. if you try and edit that void again you can't find it??? You can hover over the edge of the roof where it is cutting and delete it. But still faster to repeat the process above if you design changes than try and copy, paste, modify roof etc, etc. especially when it is a complex shape.

There is a way to edit the void after it has been created. Just change the phase of the element being cut by the void to "New Construction" (or whatever your equivaent new work phase name is called). The void can now be selected and edited (just remember to change the phase of the element back to "Existing" when you're done).
Cheers,
Mark
Mark James

Company: Denton Corker Marshall
When did you start to use Revit?: v4.5 2002

Return to Tips and Tricks